Thursday, December 30, 2010

Jake's story

Jake is my best friend of almost 12 years. I adopted him when I live in NYC in July of 1999, and he has been with me ever since. He has always been a healthy spunky cat. He's a momma's boy-doesn't like anyone except me:).

In April of 2010, I brought him in for his annual. He had lost about a pound in the past year Dr. Patty said his thyroid level was on the high end of normal, so we would keep an eye on him. By August, he looked really skinny (it just stood out one day). I brought him back to have bloodwork done. I was expecting his thyroid levels to be off the charts. Dr. Patty called me in to the "special room" and told me his levels actually went down and that it was probably cancer. I explained that he still has a healthy appetite, so then she said that it probably wasn't cancer. She said to keep bringing him in monthly to monitor him. In the 3 or 4 times I brought him in, one time he gained a few ounces. The rest of the time, he lost. Through all this, Jake had a healthy appetite. The dr. said if it was cancer, I would have definitely seen him go down hill by now. Besides the weight loss, he was still acting like Jake. Before all this, Jake was a healthy almost 13 lb cat. By the end of the year, he was down to 8 lbs, 4oz.    

No comments:

Post a Comment